Friday, June 15, 2012

Quick and easy dinner--is there such a thing?

If you are anything like me there are just some nights you're tapped out of ideas for dinner and you have about 30 minutes till all "hades" breaks loose because people are hungry--what to do? Well instead of calling for pizza, or begging your husband to agree to a family dinner at chick-fil-a, consider trying one of my (and my family's) favorite go to meal. My husband probably would eat this every night if I let him, and my son will actually eat the spinach! AND... I can make it in about 25 minutes! So I present to you--

Chicken and Spinach Florentine

The finished product.
Ingredients: 
- 1 TBSP. olive oil (I use EVOO)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves, washed and dried (I just use the ready mix bag spinach and cut the leaves in half)
- 2 cups rice, uncooked. Minute Rice is best for this (I use their brown rice)
- 1 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved.
- 1 can (10.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1 tsp. each of basil and oregano
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Romano cheese, grated (I like to add the second cheese for a really tasty blend, but it is totally optional).

Directions: 
-  Heat oil in large deep skillet on medium heat.
- Add chicken and cook 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Stir frequently.
- Add spinach, rice, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and broth; mix well.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer 5 minutes
- Stir in cheese and let stand 5 minutes.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment