Friday, February 24, 2012

Gratitude Check (a.k.a. my 100 things)

I have been reading up on blogging and writing in general. One of the books I've been looking at suggested to help find inspiration; make a list of one hundred things that you love.  It is supposed to encourage the "writer" to think/write the obvious (anything chocolate) and not so normal (watching a squirrel run on the back fence).  The end product is a wonderful list of things to include or work into your blog, stories, novels, or what ever you are writing.

But here's the thing, what started out as an exercise in creativity for me, turned into an exercise in gratitude. It was a great reminder of all the little things that I love about everyday life.  Those small, gratifying moments that are so simple but oh so sweet. I highly suggest that you make your own list--here's my list to help you start on yours. Enjoy :)

1. the feel of Jim's hand in mine
2. Duncan's "mmmmwha" noise when he kisses me
3. warm, chocolate chip cookies when they are fresh out of the oven and the chocolate is still gooey.
4. hugging, shaking hands, high 5's, to all my seniors as they get ready to graduate.
5. the face my students make when they finally get a concept--that a-haa moment.
6. watching it snow and it's quiet.
7. after the Christmas tree is finally decorated and I turn off the lights and just look.
8. snuggling under the covers
9. a really good cup of tea.
10. finishing a book
11. Duncan's belly laugh--it's just so wonderful to hear.
12. winning a really tough Words with Friends game
13. talking to my sister on the phone every week
14. Birthdays and anything birthday related.
15. the smell of roses, magnolias, or lilacs
16. old family pictures
17. Santa Claus
18. when something is on sale that I wasn't expecting.
19. snow days
20. caramel caribou ice cream
21. getting an email from one of my friends who I haven't heard from in a while
22. Thank yous
23. watching Jim and Duncan play chase.
24. sand in my toes
25. fall colors
26. Black Bear dates
27. the social studies bubble (how I miss you!)
28. Wicked
29. freshly washed and changed sheets
30. falling asleep to the sound of rain
31. Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach
32. my nestie buddies
33. stay in your pjs days
34. my danskos (oh do my feet love you)
35. my mom's parmesan bread
36. the hymn, Hail thee, festival day (my favorite)
37. spell and grammar check
38. cookie monster because C is for cookie and that's good enough for me ;)
39. breakfast for dinner
40. watching the wildlife in our back yard
41. long hot showers
42. a good movie that I can watch over and over
43. that knowing wink Jim gives me
44. crossing off the last thing on a to do list (really crossing off anything on my to do list!)
45. comfy clothes a.k.a. my sweat pants and a hoodie
46. hiking up Mt. Cutler trail in North Cheyenne Canyon Park
47. fireworks
48. Vera Bradley
49. west wing marathons (on tv and on from my dvds)
50. when people comment on my facebook page and pictures, and now on my blog!
51. the warmth from my mothers hug
52. watermelon, pineapple, and cantaloupe
53. hearing the right song just at the right time
54. how my hair looks and feels right after I get it done at the salon
55. a good pedicure
56. teacher friends who understand (you know who you are!)
57. Pachelbel's Cannon in D
58. sunshine on my face
59. a really good cheeseburger with mustard and pickles
60. speaking of pickles...fried pickles
61. my great grandmother's ring that has been passed to me by my mom
62. funny stories that make me laugh
63. National Board Certification
64. ice tea
65. crockpot dinners
66. Calvin and Hobbes comics
67. that tingly feeling you get when something amazing and beautiful happens
68. when Duncan captures my face between his hands so he can talk to me
69. the lil' gym
70. beautiful warm sunny days
71. reading with Duncan
72. cat naps
73. chocolate, chocolate, did I mention chocolate?
74. former students who keep in touch and let me know how they are
75. Napoleon Dynamite -- GOSH!
76. fresh cut veggies and ranch dip
77. salted caramel hot chocolate
78. the start of a new school year
79. the end of the school year
80. the Constitution
81. my wireless mouse
82. best friends
83. my wedding ring
84. Jim's support when I am stressed or frustrated
85. learning something new
86. family dinners
87. finding money or change in pockets
88. Coast Guard festival
89. McKenzie's Chop House white cheddar garlic mash potatoes
90. discovering a new love, idea, or passion
91. Charlie Brown and Snoopy specials on tv
92. childrens artwork
93. finding a bargain
94. snow angels
95. when all the traffic lights are green on my way to work
96. sound of waves crashing against the shore
97. my mother-in-law's zany, funny sense of humor
98. playing the piano
99. Cardinal's baseball and Detroit hockey
100. Ants on a log (celery stuffed with peanut butter and raisins)

No comments:

Post a Comment