Monday, February 6, 2012

my food review--Betty Crocker Gluten free cookies

So as you all have read, my husband is gluten intolerant which makes like a bit interesting in our household. One of the things he misses the most is baked goods--especially chocolate chip cookies. So today I thought I would try out Betty Crocker's gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix and let the cookie monster have at it!

The ingredients needed were simple--softened butter, vanilla, and an egg--which it good when you have a 20 month old running around at your feet wanting to help. After a small temper tantrum caused by not being able to pour the vanilla, we were on our way. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of chocolate chips in the mix--way more than expected (truth be told I had gotten out some to add, but didn't need to).

The instructions say to mix the butter, egg, and vanilla together, then add the mix. Stir till crumbly. Spoon onto a cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes (we did 9 min) at 350 and VIOLA!!! Cookies. One note--Be sure to let the cookies sit on the pan for at least two minutes or you will have one crazy mess! (learned that the hard way)

Down to the review!
Likes: The chocolate chips stayed melty and soft. The cookie was crispy on the outside but moist and soft on the inside. Another Like: they looked great! (see picture) My husband couldn't tell the difference between his cookies and the gluten version I made for my students. Finally they tasted pretty darn yummy. I admit--I'm a cookie snob and still trying to like gluten free and these were good. 

Dislikes: the cookie was a bit "grainy" tasting at the end of a bite--it's main replacement for wheat flour is rice flour, so that is expected. If you are new to gluten free be forewarned, this happens a lot. Another dislike --I felt the mix was way too crumbly--how on earth was I going to make teaspoon size drops when it constantly fell apart? Solution?!?! Roll the dough up into a tube -- like you would find with the pre-made cookie dough or refrigerator box cookies -- then cut/break off small pieces and place on cookie sheet.  My final dislike--the amount of cookies made--granted it's a box mix, but I only got 18 cookies. I was hoping for more. In our house the cookie monster (my husband) and cookie jr. (my son) ate at least half the batch last night. I would bet you $10 bucks the rest will be gone by this evening--tomorrow at the latest.

Overall  I definitely recommend these cookies, especially if you are just starting out in the gluten free world and haven't had much experience in creating your own flour mixes. They do cost a bit more (like most gluten free stuff does anyway), but they really are a tasty treat that everyone will like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment