Sunday, November 4, 2012

Something on the walls... finally!

We have been here in the new house for exactly 3 1/2 weeks and I have yet to do any official decorating. Heck, I'm still trying to unpack boxes (I don't even want to think about the boxes that await me in the basement). However, I have been itching to do something decorative especially with the pile of Duncan's artwork. Our fridge front is no longer a magnetized surface so I have been collection papers everywhere. Enter my favorite friend Pinterest.



I pinned this pin from Pinterest months ago... Thanks to the wilson world blog for the idea.  It had morphed from a plan I saw at IKEA to hang kids artwork in their room. All I needed was a wire hanger and a vinyl quote.  Why couldn't I do this in the house? I had two wall "candidates" --- the upstairs hallway and the kitchen. The winner was the kitchen--really because I wanted everyone to see Duncan's work, and I really didn't want to have to walk upstairs to see it and put new work up.

Enter Saturday afternoon. The hubs was out mowing the lawn and Duncan playing away with his trains. It was the perfect time to finally get it done.  I gathered all my tools-- a wire holder and clips purchased from IKEA, wire clippers, my drill and a few screws, ruler/level, my vinyl artwork quote I had purchased from Vinyl Wall Expressions, and all Duncan's artwork.

First up prep the walls. I cleaned the wall, measured everything out, and then went to work hanging the wire hanger. I really hate the picture only directions that IKEA gives sometimes, but it was relativity easy to follow. Cutting the wire turned into a harrowing experience as the first cut had too much slack, and after trimming to little. Thank goodness the second try was perfect.

Wire and clips!
Next up came the quote. The hardest part of this? Rubbing it down to make sure every thing was on the transfer paper. It was real easy to hang. The directions sent with it were so easy to follow.

Ready to get to work.

And... tada!  Here is the finished product. I am pretty proud of my work-- more importantly Duncan's work. Now everyone who comes into my house gets to see it.










No comments:

Post a Comment